***kawaii blogging fun times***

Friday 9 December 2011

Artistic Genius





I'm currently on my second year of a GCSE art course. I work in a secondary school and some of my pupils study art. Last year I decided I'd take the course along with one of my year 10s.
I've always had a great love for art, but I didn't take it very far at school due to a number of regrettable reasons. I'm not sure what I expect to do with it once I get a GCSE in art, but I'm certainly enjoying the journey.

I rarely get a chance to be in the actual GCSE art classes, but I often drop in to the art department to speak to the teacher and get a bit of direction. I usually just find out what the pupils are currently looking at, view the assessment objectives, and do my own thing. I find the art teacher takes a "spoon feeding" sort of approach to the pupils in his class, which really doesn't work for me. I like to let my creative skills take over and go in my own direction.

I'm currently working on a final piece of a pepper project that's been ongoing for a few months. It didn't initially spark my creativity, but I've become more involved in it and am actually rather enjoying the project now. To hit all the assessment objectives, I've had to look at other artists work to inspire my own pieces. I found this difficult at first, as the final piece can't be completely original. I must show progression from looking at a piece of art I admire, linking it to peppers, then interpreting that into my own work. The whole project has been ongoing for a couple of months, so I've managed to get the hang of it and do what is required for the course.





Back to my final piece. I've always been a fan of Salvador Dali's work, especially his surrealist pieces. I could instantly see an aged, melting pepper when looking at Dali's soft watches. I admire the use of ants in his work as well. He manages to make them look like jewels on a watch in the Persistence of Time. I wanted to replicate this idea myself. So I'm in the process of creating a mixed media piece, showing a large moldy, melting   pepper, crawling in ants. I've gone out of my comfort zone somewhat in creating this piece. I prefer to work with paints, pastels, pencils, crayons on paper or canvas. I'm not into creating 3D models or anything like that, but I really need to show I can do more than just flat pieces of work all the time. So, although I'm working with acrylic paint on canvas, I'm building up the pepper using toilet paper and making the ants out of clay and wire. Not entirely sure it's going to turn out as envisioned, but having a good go! Will post photos as I go. 

3 comments:

  1. sounds interesting, i did GCSE art but didnt really enjoy it, we didnt really have much creative freedom. we would be given a theme then the teacher would moan that it had to be done this way and that way then end up with a crap grade. in the end it wasnt my own work but their ideas etc. at college i have to look at lots of artists, be critical of their work and relate it to mine which i hate, yes ive come to broaden my knowledge of local artists and art history but find that my own work is then not unique because its kinda frowned upon. and if ive created a piece of art i may have to go back and find an artist to relate it to. anyway i have been doing more 3D work and mixed media which is challenging but interesting. look forward to seeing the work

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel there is little creative freedom with the GCSE, especially how the teacher teaches the course. I've decided that as long as I'm hitting the assessment objectives for each unit, then it doesn't matter that I'm not doing exactly what the teacher tells the class to do. That way I've given myself more creative freedom.
    I'd like to look a lot more at various artists and into art history, but it doesn't seem to be covered at GCSE level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. art history wasnt covered at AS level when i did it there and the teaching and creative freedom was the same for AS level as GCSE. glad ur enjoying it though

    ReplyDelete